Our Concerto Competition provides members of KCLSO and students within the KCL Music Department with the opportunity to perform a concerto or showpiece of their choice with a full symphony orchestra; guided by our Musical Director, James Ross.
*APPLICATIONS FOR THE KCLSO CONCERTO COMPETITION ARE NOW OPEN*
Deadline for applications is Sunday 12th March 2023.
Auditions will be held on Sunday 2nd April 2023 in front of a panel of judges.
Auditionees are required to:
- Fill out this application form by 12/3/23: https://forms.gle/9BD5Y2ZdcFMEXsSF9
- Please prepare a movement from your chosen concerto, which you consider able to represent the concerto as a whole. This should amount to no more than 15 minutes of playing within your audition – (if your movement exceeds this time limit, we will ask you to stop playing at the time limit.)
- Auditions will be held on Sunday 2nd April, in front of a panel of judges. If you are unable to make this date, please indicate via the form and contact us via email, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will endeavour to organise another suitable time to hold your audition.
- Applicants will be considered for the opportunity to perform their concerto with KCLSO as part of a future concert, be that on tour or otherwise.
- If possible, please consider a concerto that works in the context of the orchestra’s size, ideally to effectively incorporate brass and percussion.
- Bring their own accompanist and (preferably) scores or copies of the piano reduction for the panel.
Past winners of the competition:
Alexander Dawkins performing Khachaturian's Violin Concerto at the KCLSO December concert 2019
Stefan Cunningham rehearsing Nielsen’s Flute Concerto with the orchestra in the final concert of the Summer tour 2017 in Cologne. Photo Credits to Lia Breingan
Debbie Barnes performing Mozart’s Bassoon Concerto in April 2017. Photo Credits to Katie Edwards
December Concert 2016 at the St Pancras Church, Euston.
Lantian Gu playing Bartok’s Piano Concerto No. 3. Photo Credits to Liz Isles
Rehearsal May 2016 – Alanna Macfarlane playing Weber’s Concerto for Bassoon